Assam Government Implements Measures to Promote Electric Vehicles and Environmental Sustainability
Guwahati 12th February: In a proactive move to encourage the adoption of electric vehicles (EVs) and promote environmental sustainability, the Assam government has announced a reduction in the Motor Vehicle (MV) tax for electric vehicles during the ongoing state budget session.
Key initiatives under this green approach include:
- Saplings Plantation: A plantation drive of 3 crore saplings under the Amrit Brikshya Andolan with a project cost of Rs 40 crore signifies the government’s commitment to enhancing green cover and biodiversity.
- Renewable Energy Collaborations: Collaborations aimed at enhancing renewable energy sources will further contribute to the state’s sustainable development goals.
- Introduction of Green Buses: Introduction of green buses in Guwahati and a 2% reduction in MV tax on the registration of electric vehicles demonstrate the government’s focus on transitioning to cleaner transportation alternatives.
- Energy Audit of Government Buildings: With a project cost of Rs 10 crore, the energy audit of government buildings aims to optimize energy consumption and promote energy efficiency.
- Mandatory Rooftop Solar: Mandating rooftop solar installations in all new private and public buildings underscores the government’s commitment to harnessing solar energy and promoting clean power generation.
These initiatives align with the broader Electric Vehicle Policy of Assam, 2021, which aims to increase the number of EVs on the road with a target of introducing at least 200,000 EVs within the next five years.
To incentivize buyers, the state government has announced subsidies and tax rebates for electric vehicles:
- Rs 20,000 subsidy for electric two-wheelers
- Rs 50,000 subsidy for electric three-wheelers
- Rs 1,50,000 subsidy for electric four-wheelers
Additionally, a 2% rebate on the purchase of electric vehicles until March 31, 2025, aims to make EVs more accessible and affordable for the public.
The revised MV tax structure for EVs reflects the state’s commitment to reducing carbon emissions and promoting sustainable transport solutions, marking a significant step towards a greener future and setting a precedent for environmental conservation and innovation in the automotive sector.